AMA MASTER'S unknown?

Archie Stafford rcpattern at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 15:11:13 AKST 2005

I think I'm partial to the unknowns because I've never really been overly
concerned with a caller.  Yes, I understand if I haven't flown a sequence
that it the caller is VERY important, but I'm not someone who has to hear
the maneuver 2/3 of the way through or anything like that.  At the NATS I
don't think it is a problem finding a "qualified" caller.  No one from my
home field goes to the NATS (actually that's incorrect, my father is a site
director and another pilot is a line chief, however these are both useless
to me at the NATS.  I think if the caller attended the announcement of the
"unknowns" with the pilots on Wednesday night as they do in FAI, then I
don't think it would be that big of a problem.  You have all evening plus
the next morning to go over the sequence and kind of see how things flow.
Even if it was as simple as changing the sequence of the maneuvers that are
in the pattern it would add to the level of difficulty.  I think a lot of
pilots even in Masters now would have a problem flying the sequence if you
flew the same sequence but made them roll the opposite direction they do
naturally.  Now, even flying the SAME sequence some pilots who might win
otherwise would have a major problem winning the contest.  Now who is the
better pilot, the pilot who flies the sequence well rolling either
direction, or the pilot that almost crashes his airplane because of rolling
the other direction?  I will admit naturally I roll better to the right than
I do the left, but if I was in the finals of masters and someone out flies
me because he can roll either way, he is the better pilot, and I think that
is the overall goal is to determine the best pilot, not who practices the
most.  I think the pilots who make the finals in Masters are competent
enough to be able to fly an unknown sequence and fly it well.

Arch

  _____