Temperatures acceptable for equipment while flying.....?

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Wed Jan 5 20:21:36 AKST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:48:36 -0600
"Lance Van Nostrand" <patterndude at comcast.net> wrote:

> Tom,
> Thanks for the mixture suggestion.  I found that the one time I tried
> this my engine would quit in the air at idle.  Can the engine cool
> down enough to just stop?  I'm flying a 2 stroke on 10%, maybe higher
> nitro would heat things up?
> --Lance

Hi Lance,

My indication that I needed to richen both mixtures was the typical
brief sag (not sputter) on throttle up and the slight surging at full
throttle.  It kinda makes sense because the colder air is more dense.
In my experience the cold alone won't cause an engine to quit.  Now
having an air cleaner full of melting snow because I've been playing
around and buried the plane to the bottom of the wings in fresh powder
is another issue...  BTW, it takes more power to taxi out of that
situation than it does to hover, but it's fun to watch!

Anyway, as long as my engine doesn't cool off for more than a few
minutes after landing, I can start it with a chicken stick just like the
warmer months.  It's that first start of the day when the temp is below
20F that takes a bit of grinding with the starter.  I may try that
lighter fluid trick.

I'm flying a 2 stroke (OS .46 AX) on muffler pressure alone and Byron
20/20 fuel.

By the way, thanks for your "Ultimate Battery Backup" article in the
latest K Factor - that one's a keeper!

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes