Sequence Changes

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 19:40:26 AKST 2005

Michael:
You've got a very ambitious course laid out.  It certainly can be
achieved.  But, it seems to me that you are assuming a one-size-fits-all
situation wherein you can afford to spend the time required to progress
at this rapid rate.  Many can't, for some reason or other.  Believe me,
there are lots of absolutely legitimate reasons such a progression is
not an option for a lot of flyers.  As an example, Masters' pilots
don't, in a surprisingly high number, ever want to get involved in FAI..
A similar situation exists for the other, lower classes.  Flying the
same schedules for an interminable period is certainly an option.  It is
certainly possible to adopt an attitude of "if they don't like it, let
them move up."  This tends to put people, if they do move up, in a
situation for which they may never be qualified.  Where, then, is the
gain? If someone decides that the same sequences will be with him
forever, and decides to put his recreational time and money elsewhere,
as so many have done, where is the gain?  What is the sense in
disregarding the opinions of a majority of pilots who are now supporting
pattern, and keep the same-old-same-old?  It's been tried, and our
numbers, with a few blessed exceptions, continue to dwindle.  We need to
keep the present enthusiast, while attracting more new folks.  A
stick-in-the-mud approach just isn't going to work, IMHO.
This is coming from a guy who flew his first contest ~1955, and I can
remember an ordinary contest boasting an attendance of around 144
contestants.  Our club contests usually had ~50 contestants.  Where are
numbers like this now?  There are lots of reasons, and keeping the same
patterns obviously isn't the sole reason.  But, we've got to keep this
new and fresh in some manner.  More frequent sequence changes would be a
good start, I feel
Thanks for reading this long posting.

Bill Glaze.