Sequence Poll Results

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Jan 2 14:57:39 AKST 2005

It's interesting to do a little hypothetical analysis regarding the
responces involved.
It could be considered obvious that the Sportsman pilot, new to the
game, looks at the FAI pilot and speculates regarding his future in
terms of "Boy, if I stick with this for 2 or 3 years maybe I can get
to fly like that". Whether or not his speculation is realistic, it
appears that approximately 75% of his class feels this way.
Moving up to Intermediate, where things become just a little more
challenging, his reasoning becomes,"Hey, just think, last year I
couldn't even do some of these maneuvers, but here I am overcoming
and still on my way to the "Top".  I can do this!" No less than 71%
of Intermediate flyers are still full of vision and the "thrill of
victory".
Now the poor buggar moves up to Advanced and finds himself coming in
at the bottom of the pile and reality hits home!  "Holy smoke, this
Advanced class is a lot tougher than I thought it would be", and 58%
of this class start to feel that maybe the "top" is farther away and
a loftier pinnacle than originally imagined, as the consensus now
swings in the opposite direction.
Moving to Masters we begin to find a few individuals who after
surviving the war in Advanced and lived in the class for a
significant period of time and are starting to occasionally
experience some modicum of success are finally once again turning
their gaze upon that lofty height once again with renewed hope,
however only 53% of the group have attained this degree of
confidence.It would appear that 47% are still either doggedly
battling their way up through the pack or content in the fact that
despite all the obstacles they have made it this far and will now
take a well deserved breather.
Then of course the "top"(sorry Bob). These guys fall into two
groups. 67% of these people recognize the value of the program that
enabled them to become profficient enough to participate with the
best in the world while 33% don't want the lower class people to
realize the inherrant value to be derived, by working one's way up
through the classes, in an effort to reduce the competition
quotient.Wouldn't it be interesting to know if their flight scores
actually bear this out.
Hey guys, just poking a little fun here.Couldn' help but ponder the
ratios.
G.

Bob Pastorello wrote:

>   An "unofficial" poll of the NSRCA mail list members (and anyone
> else who may read RCU's Pattern Forum) was approved by Tony
> Stillman, created and posted by Ed Hartley on the NSRCA website.
> Ed and I did the tabulations independently and arrived at the
> information you see below. This information is the tabulation of
> all of your responses to this question:    "Should the progression
> of classes within AMA precision aerobatics be designed to prepare
> a person for the FAI class?"

                 YES      NO   TOTAL-Class % of      % Y of     % N of
                                           Total     Total      Total
  Sportsman       9       3         12         9%        12%        6%
  Intermediate   21       8         29        22%        28%        15%
  Advanced       10       14        24        19%        13%        26%
  Masters        23       20        43        33%        30%        38%
  FAI            13       8         21        16%        17%        15%
  TOTAL Polls    76       53       129                  100%       100%
  % of Total     59%     41%