An Overwhelming Weight- A Heavy Issue

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 28 14:11:11 AKST 2005

Buddy:
I think you have it analyzed correctly.  The only consideration here
seems to be, really bottom line, what the FAI mandates.  And while,
numerically, those folks are far from the  majority of the competitors,
they seemingly have a mighty voice.  A year or so ago, someone on this
list voiced the opinion that our weight rules were, in effect, decided
offshore, and by trickle down, were put into effect in the AMA classes;
presumably "for our own good."  Because, after all, "everybody knows
that the ultimate destination is FAI."  I haven yet not seen a cogent
reason why a reasonably priced, competitive airplane, will mean the end
of pattern as we know it.  I've seen a lot of dialogue, a lot of
convoluted reasoning, but nothing solid.  After all, at the time the
Focus series was introduced, it was exactly what we're talking about.
It is a competitive pattern design, at a competitive price.  It was
marketed, and the sky didn't fall.  Some folks think change is scary.
Want to talk change?   I detailed in a post where, in the space of a
year, airplanes, engines, and radios, (the whole shootin' match) was
rendered obsolete.  Now we're faced with the electrics, that could make
dramatic changes in the competition scene.  Will pattern end?  NO.
The thing that tickles me is is that rumor has it the FAI is considering
changing the weight rule.  I can hardly wait; no sooner than FAI
actually does change the weight rule, there will be a whole lot of these
folks stampeding to follow the New Gospel.  Whatever it may be.  And
even THAT won't be the end of pattern as we know it.
What will be the end is our diminishing numbers.  And the assumption
that the ultimate destination for all is FAI Class.
Or so I see it.  From this point on, I join Bob Pastorello.  In exile.
In his cave!<G>

Bill Glaze