An Overwhelming Weight- A Heavy Issue

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 13:12:42 AKST 2005

Since you indicated that it is OK to let your voice be heard, I would like
to pose a few questions which have aroused my curiosity while listening to all
the very thoughtfully constructed debate on the weight issues.
1. Since I assume that the positions stated against change are based on FAI
rules being the basis for most top designs being produced today how could a
change in the AMA weight limit effect the basis of design for  FAI, the place
where all state of the art designs of today emanate from as they  would be
lighter than any AMA increased weight limit should one be  adopted?
2. Doesn't the same argument that is being used today against a rule  change
hold true in reverse should FAI go to a higher weight limit in the  future? If
FAI weight rules were changed today wouldn't that make the new  designs based
on that change illegal unless the AMA changed it's rules  accordingly?
That being the case it seems to me that nothing significant will happen in
regard to a mass change in design concept that will effect AMA pattern to any
great extent if the weight rule is changed to allow a small increase  aimed at
reducing cost, among other things since most all  top AMA pilots today are
using designs based on FAI  rules.
Seems to me that logic gained from the discussion has indicated that an AMA
weight change is not the issue the real rub comes about if FAI changes their
weight rules, am I the only one or does anyone else see it this way
Buddy