AMA DvD

tony at radiosouthrc.com tony at radiosouthrc.com
Mon Feb 28 05:19:50 AKST 2005

Many of you by now may have received a DVD in the mail from AMA.
There is supposed to be a letter with it.  I personally have not received
one yet, so I don't know what is in the package.

The letter states that the CD is for sale at $9.  However, if you don't want
it, you can return it via the included postage pre-paid mailer.  It also
states in the letter that you don't even have to return it, for the very
reasons that you state.

This is a project that the AMA EC had approved right before I came on board.
There was a test mailing of 50,000 pieces, and it received very high marks.
Of course, some people are very offended in receiving this "junk" mail, and
are very vocal about it.  That will happen.  If that person will contact AMA
and let HQ know, their membership will be coded so that they will not
receive any other mailings like this in the future.

However, many seem to really like the offer.  This does not cost AMA
anything.  AMA makes a profit from it, which directly goes into the general
fund to help pay for things like insurance cost and such.  In this way, it
will help keep membership dues down.

The key points are:

1)  The program is self supporting i.e. No member dues are used to promote
it.
2)  It generates revenue to AMA that helps support our programs
3)  Non-dues revenue programs help control costs and keep dues low
4)  Any member who does not wish to receive such solicitations can opt out
by contacting the staff and indicating their desire.

Personally, I think it is OK.  I don't jump up and down when I get a little
"junk mail" in my mailbox.  If I did, I would be jumping a lot!!  Those that
don't like it can just return it or throw it away.  Those that want it, can
buy it.  Those that are offended can contact AMA and opt out of any future
mailings.

This was AMA's first attempt at this kind of thing, so some opposition to it
is normal and expected.

I hope this helps explain the project.
Tony Stillman
Radio South