Weight Limit

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 12:25:47 AKST 2005

Bill,

I've reprinted some of your text with inserts bracketed by **************

" So, here I am now, rather a small mix of Fred and George.  But,
remember in this rather lengthy discussion, we're talking about weight
only, here.
*********Correct.  We are talking about weight only, and that is at this
time the only factor that matters very much because it is the single factor
that has the biggest influence on the cost of our planes
today.**************

And I still fail to see how allowing somebody to build an airplane like
the Focuses (Foci?) or the Hydeout at a pound heavier would threaten me
or pattern.  It would allow the newer "budget" airplanes, such as the
new Goldberg, on the line.  I fail to see how that would threaten either
George or Fred."
********Again, I believe you are correct in that building any of the current
day planes any amount heavier does not equate to a competitive advanatage.

The performance level of the pattern aircraft of just a few years ago
(Prophecy, Hydeout, Arch Nemesis, Elan, many of the Typhoons, etc) has been
eclipsed by the current generation of planes.  If you were to freeze
advancements in specific pattern designs and engines specifically designed
for pattern, increasing the weight limit (a limited amount) would likely
have little other effect than allow the currently illegal current day
designs to compete legally at the Nats and allow some of the close to 11 lb
sport planes compete.  Nothing bad about that at all.  The detriment and
negative comes in with the new iteration of designs that will be triggered
by allowing heavier planes - the new designs will eclipse the performance of
the current day stuff, and all the designs and engines specifically designed
for the new weight limit will cost more than the current day versions.  I
really don't think we want to obsolete the equipment we have to allow a
Goldberg sport planes you reference into our event (especially considering
they are commonly allowed within the existing rules at the discretion of the
CD).

In practice, the sport plane that is close to meeting the pattern rules is
allowed in the contest by the CD.  We don't need to increase the weight rule
to accomplish what CD's discretion is already doing - if we did, we would
find ourselves subject yet again to unintended consequences - and I bet we
would lose more current day pattern pilots due to change (and obsoleting
their equipment) than we gained by allowing a sport flier a go at pattern
with his 12 lb Goldberg/Midwest/DPM Extra/Ultimate/Yak whatever.

And FWIW - I think the added historical perspective strengthens my
position - pattern guys will continue to design, develop, and expand the
boundaries of performance as far as they can inside the limits of the class.

Dave