how weight equals $$$

Anthony Romano anthonyr105 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 25 16:46:17 AKST 2005

>From: "Terry Brox" <tbrox at cox.net>
>

>        I am envisioning a new pattern plane for the new weight.
>It will be a monoplane, 78" ws, 78" length, fuse height 18", fuse width
>10", wing root 25", wing tip15", 15degree sweep at the quarter chord, 12%
>airfoil making the wing root 3" thick, stab 28" and nearly 2" thick.

If Terry can make this thing fly and Dave wins the Nats with it then of
course everyone will want one. Now to make this behemoth fly Dave starts
testing the new Webra 3.2 twin with twin mixture control carbs and dual CF
pipes. To make all those control surfaces work it requires dual 8611 on
Rudder and ailerons as well as each elevator half. Now those dual m/c carbs
each require two very fast mini servos(digitals of course) and the new
Futaba 14 or the hush hush Jr 22 to control it.

Now a historical example. Prior to the two meter rule does anyone remember
the 80" Pythons and George Asteris' original Omen?  Those who do also know
how many 1.20 AC they destroyed trying to power those monsters on 40% nitro.
Who also remembers the Giant Dr Jeckyl that was built a few years ago.
Chip has spent several years developing the DV which he originally started
with the Hydeout. Now it takes lots of CF, lots of power and at least seven
servos to perform.
Not to long ago you didn't see dual servos on any surface $$ or computer
radios$$ or mixture carbs$$ or adjustable wings$$ and stabs$$ or ball
bearing linkage$$.  Now most would not consider competing without them.
The 5kg limit has been around forever and for years never even a concern.
Since we have now dropped most of the other limits weight has become a
limiting factor. With each drop of a restriction the planes have become more
complicated and more expensive. The competitor in all of us will lead us all
right to the limits of what ever the new limits are. Very few will just be
content to show up to a contest with there 6kg sport plane in anything above
sportsman. In ten years I can count on one hand the number of time I have
seen that at a contest.

The reason all of the lower pilots want to have the Gee whiz airplanes? Why
do the hacks at the golf course have ti clubs? Why do guys buy sports cars
and never drive them?

BECAUSE THEIR KEWL!!!

  Your plane is your tool, your buddy, your friend and it should be as loyal
as a good dog and as tempting as any mistress. No one has ever owned a plane
with a a good personality. It was so well pointed out any perceived benefit
becomes a perceived reality. It is the reason my brother in law has a $600
dollar tennis racketwhen he plays once a month and why my co workers have
$4000 dollars worth of golf clubs when they can't break a hundred.

As Pappas said to me some years ago the hobby is spending money the rest is
just details.

No offense, anger or malice toward any one who disagrees but for about ten
years I have been trying to convert sport pilots to pattern pilots and have
found it to be the hardest sale I have ever made and no rule change will
make a difference.

The only way I have been able to make a difference is volume. Run more
contest, do more primers and fly at more local clubs were hopefully someone
will watch me fly and say that looks like fun.

Anthony