Weight Limit

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 14:58:44 AKST 2005

Dave:
I hold no particular opinion on a weight limit change; at least, not
yet.  But, I have rather gained interest in the discussion as a bystander.
So, I am curious.  You seem to equate weight with cost, as if we were
buying these airplanes like a Sirloin steak, on a per pound basis.
Now, I have a couple of 14 pound Extra 300's that are powered by Moki's.
Both of them (at 80 inch wingspans, similar to pattern size wise) cost
less than any of my pattern airplanes, have greater performance, and fly
very well.  I have no doubt that I could have spent more money, but it
would not have improved the breed.  I did, of course, build them from
kits.  I could have built them heavier, but that, too, would be pointless.
If, and I stress if, all other factors are to remain the same except
weight, how can you come up with weight equating to cost?  Particularly
now, that Y.S. has upped the ante with their new 1.60?  Which, arguably,
is aimed at the pattern market.
I perhaps missed the message in this thread that explained your stand.
Interested to see it again.
Thanks

Bill Glaze