Weight rules discussion (list revisions)

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at goodsonacura.com
Fri Feb 25 06:25:14 AKST 2005

Buddy,

I hope to prove something on the wing loading theory this weekend.  I made a new set of wings for my Aries.  Two things will be tested as a result of this change.

1. Wing area has been reduced from 1100 sq in to 1025. wing span was reduced about 2.5 inches.
2. Over all weight of the airframe has been reduced 13 oz(yes 3/4 of a lb) and there is room to reduce more new c.f. pipe from Lance (about 2.5 oz)

I also made the ailerons 2" longer to the inboard side.

I hope to accomplish a couple of things.  Improve snaps and slow flight characteristics.   I had been having a problem with the avalanche snapping consistently and if I flew to plane off throttle too much it would sometimes get mushy in attitude.  My Aries did have good wind penetration the spins where solid and predictable. So I will also be able to see how much the weight reduction will change some of these conditions.

I was at 11lbs 6oz  after the first rebuild so now the plane will be NATS legal...  and with the right wind I will be going to the NATS this year.

Later,

Wayne