FAI Weight Thread (gas)(electric)

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Thu Feb 24 07:26:47 AKST 2005

I am converting a brand new Temptation to electric as well as building
(assembling?) an Impact for electric.  I have been holding off as long as
possible doing much on batteries and chargers as one hears of new
developments on those fronts almost weekly.  With doing some fairly easy
mods to the Temp. and using some of the newer high discharge rate batteries,
I THINK I'll be able to make weight on both.  The problem is the batteries
are very expensive and current technology dictates you have at least three
sets for practice at $5-900.00/set plus balancing is still an issue for
safety/longevity.  THIS year it looks like there will be some chargers,
balancers and batteries that will allow higher charge rates with certain
battery manufacturers--but they aren't quite there yet.  So I'm doing
SOMETHING (remember Rumsfeld?) with one of the promising ones that I hope
will work out long term.  BTW, I've got an almost new(maybe 30 flights)
Mintor 170 with Mintor header, pipe and Hyde clone mount for $525.00.

Richard S.
Prairie Village, Ks.