NATS

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Mon Feb 21 19:10:36 AKST 2005

Lance.....
Seeing you are in the part time composite 'business', why not make some Nomex ( nest of bees...hehehe) cases? If anyone knows someone in the airline maint business, used 747 floorboards which have had stilleto's puncture the nomex can be made into superb cases. Alfre Pye, one of our W/C team members did exactly that. Very light and very strong...ofcourse getting the floorboards is an issue! A side issue was that he had to paint over the beautiful carbon because the cases would have been stolen for the cases alone- never mind the planes inside!!!

Failing that, 4" sheets of Polystyrene foam can be cut to suit and then glassed on the outside, or simply lined on the outside with 1/8 ply to form the box. Another option is to build a proper roadcase 'ala' musician/instrument style. All the hardware should be readily available in the US (the stuff I buy here is ex US).

I'd pick the floor board option if you can...surley Gray has something lying around, no????

Tom