DSM - Digital Spectrum Modulation

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 05:49:26 AKST 2005

        We were using this stuff in our wireless network experiments many years ago, and it struck me that we needed it in our RC radios. But, as always it was too expensive for toy planes! Much earlier, I had the misfortune to own a 495 mHz aircraft radio when they were tried in the UK. It was very directional, which was not that bad, but it also would just stop working without warning. No PCM so it was 'Crunch and go home time!"

        I spend a lot of time looking at the new radios that are coming out. None IMHO have addressed the weaknesses in our radio link. The latest Futaba radio, for example, is a wonderful piece of engineering with all the knobs (interchangeable-knobs at that!) and whistles that you could ask for. The Graupner MC-20 had a plug selectable switches knobs and sliders with 30 Model memory. The Multiplex was softer programmed and very flexible. But and it is a big BUT, none of them improved the connection to the receiver like this DSM in either of its concepts.

            I would sell all of my JR Radios to buy one very expansive radio if it could reject interference from outside or other radios. The safety feature alone is worth the big bucks. I am guessing that you could put this RC car radio in a plane and it would work. For example, in all the "electrics" that we are flying in barns and b-ball courts?

            I hope I live long enough to get a radio with DSM or equivalent.

Regards,

Eric.