Mid Air Question

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Wed Feb 16 17:35:49 AKST 2005

Scary stuff. Since this was my first year flying in competition I learned a
lot. The first time I attended a contest that had two flight lines I was a
little bit surprised. At first I thought: "Man, that's crazy!" I told my
caller to keep an eye on the "dangerous" side of the box and I figured that
since I was flying Sportsman, I'd take a 0 on a turnaround rather than take
out someone else's plane. Nothing happened at that contest except one
near-miss (I wasn't involved) so I figured it was just a necessary Evil. It
takes a while to fly all the sequences / classes even at a small contest so
I understand why we do it. I didn't realize the amount of midairs that
happen however. It is kind of scary. I don't have a real good backup plane,
and even if I did I wouldn't want to bring home my main ship in a bag after
flying it into someone else (cost of damage x2). I hope we can come up with
something to reduce the risk.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---