Sound Level meter requirements

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Mon Feb 14 21:22:32 AKST 2005

Does anybody know the requirements for a sound level meter capable of
testing for AMA noise requirements? I've found a few that measure A and C
weighted response. Some are IEC Type 2 compliant. Is this good enough for
AMA standards? Also, there's no spec. for the measured frequency range
requirement. All meters specify a range (i.e. 30Hz - 12KHz). What range does
an AMA approved measuring device have? There must be a list of requirements
somewhere, otherwise it's going to be a guessing game. It's not like buying
a tape measure.
 I've been thinking of getting one for several reasons. First, I want to
test some of the planes at my club field to get an idea of how much noise
the average sport model generates compared to a lawnmower or a weed whacker.
Second, I would like to include a noise measurement for the airplanes that I
write magazine reviews for. I think it would be a good idea for the general
public to see that most pattern planes are VERY QUIET - I don't think they
realize this.

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---