Curious About Mid Air Collisions

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 12:11:27 AKST 2005

I have witnessed 6 in my 35 years, and only four of those in  Pattern. One
was last year at the Nats where I was judging F3A.

One of those non-pattern "events" happened to me way back when I was a pup.
Some little flitting dart went through the outboard section of the  Telemaster
wing. I was helping a guy fly the Telemaster when zip---1/3rd panel  gone.
The Telemaster flew quite well on 2/3rds of a wing landing without  further
incident. The dart came through nearly without a scratch.

One of the Pattern mishaps happened about 4 yrears ago at the D3 DC at Ron
Van Putte's field. The models looked like they barely touched one another. Yet
when Lamar brought his down his wing tube was bent quite severely. It
surprised  me how much damage for how slight a touch. These models pack terrific
energy  when in full flight

MattK

 In a message dated 2/14/2005 3:24:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,