4-40 or 6-32 control arms?

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 08:47:45 AKST 2005

ED:
A few years ago, there was quite a dialogue about this.  One of the
participants was Dick Hanson, a man highly respected in Pattern and
other disciplines.  The subject came up about a couple of individuals
who were looking for extra strength on aileron and elevator actuator
bolts.  Dick said, specifically, do not get hardened bolts or anything
exotic.  He said such material won't stand up under vibration nearly as
well as common rolled thread material, or, for that matter, some of the
standard Home Depot or Lowe's bolts right off the peg board.  He said
that the ductility is what prolonged their life; that he had never had
one break.  I believed him then, and still do.

Bill Glaze