140 FZ Prop Size

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Sun Feb 13 09:50:24 AKST 2005

Hi Lem,
The FZ neede to be propped at at least 7800 RPM on the ground to run properly. At this ground RPM, it was just a little tricky to needle, as the engine wasn't really on the cam yet.
Props that ran there were the full bladed APC 15 X 13, or 16 X 11. A 16 X 12 would work well, but only with plenty of nitro and a careful needle setting learning curve. I used the 16 X 11, with a 12 in cold weather to keep under my home field's noise limit.

15 X 12, 15-1/2  X-12s were also good, though they could get buzzy in the air. These turened in the low and mid 8's and because the engine was in the sweet spot, they handled more easily.

The FZ may just have been the best version of the YS, the power was substantially better than the AC, but the table manners were almost perfect. The AC did have perfect table manners!

Regards,
Dean