NEWEST "Pattern Field Equipment"

Steve Kessler kessler at kingwoodcable.net
Fri Feb 11 10:01:10 AKST 2005

>I crashed my first electric Eclipse on take-off.  One of the 5s3p 6000ma
batteries caught on fire.  The fire reminded me of a magnesium fire I saw
in the lab.  Boy it sure was hot and intense.  The ceramic battery bunker
is OK for the small Rx and foamy LiPo's.  For the larger batteries, I
suggest you use a clay pot and possibly use the water tray as a lid.  I
never charge my small LiPo's in the house unless I watch the units.  In
this case they are on the work bench with nothing around them.  For my
6000ma LiPo's, I always charge them in the garage in a clear area.
Again, I never leave the charger until I know the charger has recognized
the proper cell count and is charging at a voltage I would expect.  The
current series of chargers, such as the Astro Flight 109 do a good job.

Bottom line is protect your self in case of a fire.  Never leave the
charger unattended until you verify the proper charge voltage.  Just my
$0.02 worth.

Steve