Linear output - was Notes to Self 3

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Feb 10 09:01:46 AKST 2005

Ok...I have a question for the Aeronautical engineers in the group...   All of this discussion has been centered around an assumed desire to get a linear relationship between our stick movement, and that of the control surface.  Clearly the effect of moving a control surface on the aircraft is proportional to the amount of movement...but is it linear??  I have to beleive it's not...   Just don't know the mechanics behind it...

Assuming it's not...(And I'm betting for some portion of the throw is close enough to be considered linear and then at higher deflections it becomes either more or less efficient) is there really a purpose to trying to exact the linear nature of the stick/control surface linkage...or it is an exercise in retentiveness :)

I also know that our spring tension on the sticks in not linear...especially around center...so it seems unlikely that what "Feels" linear isn't anyway.

To me it's akin to comparing two high end stereo systems both of which have specifications well beyond the range of human hearing....

-Mark