Notes to Self 3

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 07:15:34 AKST 2005

What he is saying is this:  As the servo arm rotates from 90 degrees, the
effective length of the servo arm gets shorter, meaning that for each
incremental degree of rotation of the servo arm from 90 degrees, you get
less incremental movement of the pushrod.  Therefore the control is
inherently more sensitive around neutral than it is at the ends of the servo
throw, assuming linearity in the rest of the system.  Expo can be used to
counter this natural tendency.

HOWEVER, the effective length of the surface control horn also gets shorter
as the surface moves from neutral, increasing movement with each incremental
movement of the pushrod.    So it is a race between decreasing effectiveness
of the servo output arm vs. increasing effectiveness of the control horn.
Then you get into non-linearity of the aerodynamic surface effectiveness
itself as it moves from neutral, and you can get confused real quick.  You
are dealing with several areas of non-linearity, and trying to compromise
between them all.

Jon Lowe