Long Stroke vs. Short Stroke

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sun Feb 6 19:34:11 AKST 2005

Adam,
 Exactly. Harleys don't rev as high, but they don't need to. The Sporty gets
70 Hp (actually that seems a little high for a 74" Harley) at less than 5000
RPM. The Yagasaki needs to wind about twice that. Imagine going 45MPH and
passing a truck, going up a hill, with a passenger on the back. Which one
could do it in "top gear" (even with the weight disadvantage)? Don't forget,
a Sporty has a relatively short arm (stroke) for a Harley. Did you ever ride
something with 5" of stroke? It really doesn't matter how much horsepower
the dyno shows it to have. Torque talks. Especially if you don't shift
properly. Area under the curve works on the street - even if the curve isn't
as steep. That's what makes a 4-stroke feel so nice in a pattern plane. Or
not - depending on who you talk to. I wonder why they stopped making the
long stroke 2C motors?

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---