Wing tubes re-visited

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat Feb 5 11:15:07 AKST 2005

Not to bring up a sore subject again, but I just saw something interesting.
I just received one of the new World Models Groovy 50 3A ARFs (the "pattern"
one) for a review subject (Fly RC). The wing tube is not simply an aluminum
or C.F. tube. It's a composite structure of some type. It appears to be an
outer aluminum tube with a smaller inner diameter aluminum tube. Between the
two is something yellow - don't know what it is. Inside the smaller tube
there's another black substance - maybe Nylon. This has the added benefit of
providing a nylock effect for the machine screws that hold the wings in
place. This sounds incredibly heavy but it's not. While not as light as a
one piece tube it is VERY strong. Probably worth the weight tradeoff. Now,
this is just a little low cost 70 4C size airplane. I wonder why they felt
the need for the added expense of something like this? I think if the
material sizes were adjusted a little bit, this would reduce the tube
bending phenomenon immensely while adding very little weight to a 2-meter
ship. A little R&D and some Real Engineering might be in order. I'm going to
talk to the manufacturer this week - I'll see if I can find out how these
are made. The rest of the plane looks really nice too. World Models also
makes a Groovy 90. Of course, the Zen and Tai-Ji come from them as well.
This should be a good one (even if it is a little small)!

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---