Other incidence meters

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Sat Feb 5 07:09:23 AKST 2005

Buddy, can you provide a picture?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: BUDDYonRC at aol.com
  To: discussion at nsrca.org
  Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 6:56 AM
  Subject: Re: Other incidence meters

  In a message dated 2/4/2005 11:26:22 PM Central Standard Time, tkeithb at comcast.net writes:
    I give it a mixed review. In general it works, but my experience is that the
    laser doesn't always come to rest at the same location. In other words, if
    you give the laser a nudge and cause it to swing back and forth it won't
    always stop at the same spot. Sometimes it's higher, sometimes lower, and
    other times it will come back to the same location.

    Also, the balancing wheel is so sensitive that if you take it off of the
    wing and put it back on the same wing often times it doesn't read the same.
    This could be due to the inconsistent laser or could be that the balance
    wheels moves slightly, I'm not sure. Certainly this makes it difficult to be
    sure two wings are exactly the same when going back to the same wing may not
    read the same.

    The only way I'm able to use it is going back and forth multiple times and
    seeing if it's still reading the same. Also, once set, swing the laser four
    or five times and see which spot it lands on most often. This certainly
    isn't very scientific.

    What I always end up doing is just getting things as close as possible and
    then flying it to dial in the exact required incidences.

    I've seen threads on RCU where people set zero incidence on non-adjustable
    stabs using this tool, I think that's a BIG mistake. Flat table with
    measuring devices is the best approach.

    It could be that I just have a defective one, but I've heard others that had
    the same experience as I have had.

    Keith