Composite-ARF Impact question

Edward Skorepa edsko at xmission.com
Wed Feb 2 14:01:57 AKST 2005

Amir, speaking about "CNC'd aluminum molds"( You mean negative, female mold
I guess. Just want to be sure, some calls positive plugs also mold). It's
not the best way to go! In matter of facts, no reputable composite
manufacturer is using them. Here is why. Take perfectly straight, flat and
square block of aluminum, clamp it to the milling machine table and start
machining. When you're done, check the block again and you'll see it's not
straight anymore! Tension is a b...h! Secondly, machine which produces glass
like finish does not exist. You'll have to do some serious polishing. Let me
tell you, it's ten times more difficult to polish concave surface than
convex. Thirdly, after hard work, you will have only ONE not so perfect
mold. Most manufactures would like to have several molds.
So what's everyone doing including the best from the best Jaro Muller? CNC
positive plug from hard polyurethane foam like Ren-shape, finish it and them
make multiply molds regular fashion way.

That 350 number may be little bit exaggerated. It takes at least 3 days
 better 5) to make quality fuselage. The first day preparing and painting
the mold. The second day layout/vacuum work (the paint must be cured before
starting laying down the composites). The third day is joining day. Of
course, you can speed up the curing process by placing mold into oven which
will also create a lot of troubles for sure. So, 350 fuselages by 3 days
equals almost 3 years. I think the impact is available for about year now.
Can't imagine to make quality fuselage in one day. ed