[NSRCA-discussion] RE: 2.4 Ghz radio

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:36:49 AKST 2005

The Spektrum system doesn't do frequency hopping though. When you turn it
on, it scans for the two least active channels in the band, then locks to
them.  Each of the two receiver circuits listens to one unique channel of
the two selected.  So sure, if an interfering device comes on line after you
start your flight, you could be in trouble.  That's not much different than
the situation we have today on 72 Mhz, although we have an exclusive
allocation for those 50 channels, we have to accept interference.

The scenario might that if there is heavy 2.4 Ghz usage in any one location,
you would learn of this right away with a simple range check.  I guess you
could have some really bad luck and experience problems if something high
powered and nearby comes on line for the first time during your 15 minute
flight, but with 80 channels to choose from, it would seem that other SS
systems that a municipality might use would not take up all the bandwidth.
Hopefully the way that other SS systems would work would be similar, i.e.,
avoid a channel already in use in favor of something else available.  I
bought one of these systems today for Foamy work only, but I'm going to be
reading up on how things should work in this space, just to be safe.

Ed