[NSRCA-discussion] RE: 2.4 Ghz radio

John Petterson rcpilotjohn at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 16:06:46 AKST 2005

Folks,

The only word of caution about these systems is that the 2.4GHz band is
unlicensed, and unregulated. Anyone can put up transmitters on that band in
any legal power, (there are some limits, but they are much higher than the
RC transmitters use) and most systems HAVE TO accept interference from other
users. Not only does your local 802.11 wireless network in your house use
this band, but many municipalities are now rolling out networks using that
band as well. Soon there will be too many users to guarantee glitch free use
of this band in many areas.

Although the frequency hopping encoding helps to reduce the impact of
interference, this is NOT a frequency band I would trust to anything capable
of causing more damage than a foamie. This technology (as long as it is in
the 2.4 GHz band) is not going to be ready for .40 size planes let alone
pattern planes. It is just too dangerous and possible for the plane to go
out of control.

Now if we can convert the already reserved for R/C bands to this technology
or get the FCC to allocate us some specific spectrum for low power RC use,
then we could get excited about this. But please don't start using them on
the bigger planes.

I can find some more information about this if anyone is interested.

John