[NSRCA-discussion] Foamy for pattern practice

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Sat Dec 24 21:05:58 AKST 2005

Colin,
 Well, I love my Ikarus F3a Shock-Flyer. We as pattern pilots are very picky
so you will have to decide for yourself. Mine is set up with an AXI 2204/54,
APC 8x3.8 S.F., T.P. 3S 480 LiPO's, Berg 4-channel Rx and 3 Hitec HS-55's.
AUW is 6.9 oz. Not super light but OK for indoor/ outdoor work. I haven't
flown this in any serious wind yet, but my old 9 oz. Shocky Super-Star held
up OK so I'm thinking this won't be too bad. As far as flight
characteristics: almost NO roll or pitch coupling. I'd have to say it's
pretty close to a full-size pattern plane if you keep in mind it's made out
of foam and only weighs 7 oz. You can do precision maneuvers with it - the
wings don't flex and the fuselage doesn't twist. It grooves nicely and it's
not twitchy like some of the "flexible flyers" made for the 3D wannabes. The
new Shockies are much stronger than the older ones and easier to build
straight. If you already have a motor and some micro radio gear it will only
cost you about $50.00 U.S. to try one for yourself. I don't think you'll be
disappointed.
John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com