Finishing

David Flynt dflynt at verizon.net
Sun Dec 11 20:03:57 AKST 2005

Lance,

Auto-air colors is not fuel proof, but the finish can be made fuel proof
with a polyurethane clear coat.

I have not used this for a pattern plane, but for foamies.  It has a few
downsides. For example it does not dry fast, and some of the colors require
heat to dry.  I could not get this stuff to atomize as well as the rc flying
colors that Radio South sells, and it definately does not stick as well
(masking can be very frustrating).  However, I think with experience, the
right reducer (not water) and absolute clean 600 grit prepped surface, it
will stick well enough for our needs.  I used it straight without reducer,
but the manufacturer sells a reducer for this.  I think that may make it a
little toxic, not really sure.

The upsides to this product is that there are so many nice colors, very
small quantities can be purchased, and it is safe enough to use with a dust
mask.  The isocyanates in the two-part clear on the other hand is quite
dangerous.  So if you are going to be exposed, then it does not really
matter that the colors are safe.  I also wonder whether it is truly much
lighter than say a base coat clear coat polyurethane, or even a single stage
paint such as the Radio South paint.  I recently covered a 2m Supreme with
less than 3 ounces of total paint of the RC flying colors, and that included
a clear coat over the colors.

It is interesting stuff, but I think I would choose a polyurethane because
it performs so well.

You should see the web site.  The example projects are impressive.
http://www.autoaircolors.com/

David