Finishing

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Sun Dec 11 16:46:25 AKST 2005

Steve/all,

I have clear coated a few planes for a friend of mine who uses the createx stuff. I just used an automotive two pack clear coat. It comes up ok but is very dependent on the skill of the 'createx' applicator! If it is applied to dry and the prep work sucks-no amount of clear coat will make it look good.
Infact I was blamed for the paint job!!! Nowadays-he takes his planes to a professional auto shop-and they charge him a packet of money with the same result. Works for me as its less possible exposure to the nasty stuff.

I also believe there may be some adhesion problems with createx if not applied correctly.His stuff I've seen flake off ( i.e.; prep work!!!)

My recommendation is to use the 'clear over base' system and just minimize the clear as it now no longer serves as a fuel proofing agent.

Tom