park fliers

Jerry Stebbins JAStebbins at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 2 18:14:04 AKST 2005

One approach has not been brought up that could seriously help the problem. Take away  "X" number of our channels and assign them to E-ONLY. Xtals sold only for e-fliers rx's-change the pin spacing for the mass produced ones, and the e-fliers Tx's made with xtals only available for those channels. Re-call all those out for "fix" at no expense. Advertise on the impact to them and their parents for responsibility if you do not get it done. Put some "fear" like teeth into doing it. Won't get them all, but can sweep them up as they are seen and found, to get them redone.
Make xtal adapters for those who want to convert to their "big" radios with legal "sign-off" when purchased, for their responsible use.
Replace FREE all TX and RX xtals, thru AMA, for existing radios on those frequencies.
Probably a lot more holes and variables I missed, and would take a concerted effort to get all "toy" radio mfgs. to comply. Seems like AMA and all their membership, and hobby shops, etc. should have some strong influence on them.
May take an FCC order to get it done--with some serious legal teeth for mfg. of non compliant radios.e.g. put the lawers on their trail for selling illegal stuff if someone gets hurt.
Lots tougher to do than it sounds, but the sooner we do something the fewer to correct.
Jerry