dz questions

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 06:28:28 AKDT 2005

Ed / Joe

The cold rpm is OK with the restrictor in place, removing could increase a 100+,  depending on engine wear.  The symptoms suggest excessive disc valve / backplate clearance, although I don't understand the attitude issue - maybe just because it's WOT there. (Oil seals it when cold - leakage when hot reduces boost - less air = rich, leaning won't help as air volume is low.) Early versions suffered wear at the retaining screw washer / backplate interface - later models used a better design (similar to the AC).

Earl