Put equity back into snap judging

ccmlbuck ccmlbuck at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 19:21:44 AKDT 2005

Eric,

 That discussion on snap rolls was truly beautiful.  Could someone put that in the rulebook right away?  I agree 110% with everything you say here.

That happens to be my Focus in the video.  Just for the record I did not receive any zeros for snaps at the Nats.  When watched on the video it doesn't look that bad.  If viewed frame by frame you can clearly see the nose pull up then the plane badly barrel around without the proper cones.  I did this because I was just scared by the discussion at the pilots meeting about having to show the break from the flight path BEFORE the snap or suffer a severe downgrade.  I'm still working on this but when I pull elevator before the snap I get barrel instead of snap.  A high ranking FAI pilot advised me to set a condition for snaps that had a lot of aileron but low elevator and rudder so you get a crisp snap without so much loss of heading or speed.  Is that a more proper snap or just a fast roll?

Anyway, I've been thinking about this video thing and I think it's a great idea.  How about we video tape the whole contest then send the tape to an unbiased panel of judges who can scrutinize it all frame by frame then later publish the results online?  Either that or use your idea that if you can't teach everyone to judge it fairly and consistantly then take it out of the rulebook.

Craig