Put equity back into snap judging

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 10:00:33 AKDT 2005

In a message dated 8/18/2005 10:44:17 AM Central Daylight Time,
ehaury at houston.rr.com writes:
Earl
I agree and because of the present quality of judging I do mine with a snap
switch, all the inputs are there, some are good some are bad but all are snaps
 and until the judging quality changes I will continue on this course, I
still  get a few zeros but have only learned how to get around poor judging not
how to  do a perfect snap every time. I keep practicing them in practice but in
a  contest I take the high road my scores for snap's were respectable the
Nats now if I can only find a way to do the same with spins the second most
misjudged maneuver.
But honestly the current situation is doing nothing to inspire me  otherwise.
If we want to do something constructive put the touch and go back in  the
pattern but boy would that cause a rumble.
Buddy

OK guys - let me give you my insight with  regard to the videos, discussion
of same, and issues surrounding flying /  judging snaps.

Firstly, the videos are a good exercise and offer  the option to "inspect"
various interpretations of snaps. As is usually the  case with video of pattern
maneuvers - most views don't acquire the same  clarity / scale as when viewed
from the judges line. My opinion, viewing in  real time, is that some are
probably snaps and some are not - but a similar  view in actual judging would mean
that the airplane was at 300 or so meters  and it would be equally difficult
to evaluate the maneuver. Confirming  one's evaluation with slo-mo isn't
available to a judge - but a better view  is.

With regard to eliminating snaps because they  can't be judged - isn't likely
to happen and we've had the same discussion  regarding spins (seems snaps
have taken the pressure off spins). A very small  number of folks have a mindset
that these maneuvers can't be done  properly - so all should be zeroed unless
they meet some magical criteria.  This is wrong, pilots need to learn how to
do the maneuvers correctly (and  apply this knowledge to their judging). My
observation basis judging 2 days of  Masters and half of the F3A finals at the
Nats is that the Masters guys have  gotten much better with snaps than in
previous years (having to fly snaps will  do that). Some of the F3A guys make them a
thing of beauty (yes - they're  snaps, not some sort of "cheat") - others
need to work on them more.

Video is an excellent tool for studying one's own  snaps - but the camera
must be zoomed on the airplane to give the same view as  the pilot - steady
tracking is difficult. A lot has been written by Don, Dave,  Dean, me, and others
on how to do the snap as defined in the rules - review  this info and apply it
to what you see in your videos.

I will venture to say that most (if not all)  large departures from track
and/or late or no stalls, are as much a  result of slow elevator input as
improper travel. Slow / weak servos, lots of  expo, anything that slows the initial
pitch movement, will screw-up snap  entry. The guys that appear to "cheat" have
figured out how to get a quick,  minimal (yet sufficient) pitch to stall and
just enough pitch and yaw  control to maintain a cone so as to return to
unstalled attitude when desired.  The rest of us need to work toward that quality
and appreciate it when  judging. A good snap doesn't look like a wounded duck!
(Yes, some may try  to forego elevator input and fool us with a quick roll
with a yaw waggle - but  the lack of pitch break makes judging these easy.)

Earl