Snap or not (since we have nothing better to do)

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 03:30:39 AKDT 2005

First, let me say I do not have the correct answer,
I'm posting this so we can all study an example.

Here is the definition from the competition guidelines
. . .

"The track visualized as the path of the Center of
Gravity (CG) should ideally follow the geometric
flight path of the maneuver while the nose and tail
autorotate through opposite helical arcs around the
flight path. A snap that does not show a break and
stall to initiate the snap, but does enter a stalled
attitude during the maneuver is severely downgraded.

2. If the stall does not occur and the model
barrel-rolls around, the maneuver is zeroed. A barrel
roll can be identified when the CG, the nose and tail
scribe the same helical path through the required
rotation of the maneuver."

I see a pitch break (nose pulls up), and the plane
finishes the rotation nose high with the tail coming
up slightly after the rotation stops.

The tricky part is the plane is definitely defining a
cone shape during the rotation. But the nose, CG, and
tail are on the same arc, not opposite arcs as
described above. The point of the cone is several feet
in front of the plane.

How do you catch this in the fraction of a second it
takes to do the maneuver?

I will try and catch a correct snap (if such a thing
exists) on video and post when I can.

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs