Soldering

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 13 15:30:17 AKDT 2005

Thread discussing this topic here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370791
Video showing it:
http://www.ezonemag.com/~awilletts/deansultra.mpg

Make sure you use a powerful soldering iron (40-50W) or a gun.  It takes
a lot of power to heat up the 12ga wire, solder, and connector.

My technique is to clamp the connector (mated for extra heat capacity),
pre-tin the wire and the connector (should look like a bubble sitting on
the flat surface), place the wire on the bubble, then press down with
the iron until the wire melts through the bubble, then remove iron and
hold wire there.  If you are burning your fingers, a wet rag works great.

Doing it poorly will cause voltage loss, not capacity loss.

-Adam