YS 110 vs OS 91FX, which one should I pick?

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 20:56:16 AKDT 2005

Brett,

If your final target weight is under 8lbs go with the OS 91 FX on a pipe. Over 8lbs go with the YS 110. I suspect you will be well over 8lbs. So it looks like the YS . . .

I have a scratch built Desire 60, which I use as a trainer to save wear and tear on my 2M planes, it weighs 7.5lbs. with an OS 91 and flies the Advanced schedule just fine. It´s about 2 years old (300+ flights) and the OS has´nt missed a beat. Great little engine IMHO.

Remember the OS takes 15%  nitro, The YS 110 preferes 25%.

My $0.02

Rodney Tanner
NSRCA # 2906

brett terry <brett.terry at gmail.com> wrote:
OK, here is the story. I just bought a pattern plane on eBay and now
I need a motor for it. The plane is from China and is a copy of
something (not sure what). It has a 68" wing span, about 800 in^2
area, and has a pipe tunnel.

I find myself in need of an engine. My first reflex is to buy an OS
91FX and a pipe, but adding up the total cost and total weight I am in
the YS 1.10 price range and weight range. Obviously the OS 91/pipe
combo will shift the CG aft a bit, but the YS can allow the tank to be
placed on the CG without the added expense of a pump.

I am looking for input on this project, and know that the best info
will come from this list. (I fully expect that I would have as many
people on RCU tell me to use a DA50R on it as would give me any
valuable info, but that is another story).

I will try to get some pics up on RCU in the next week and will do a
build thread on it, but I need to decide which engine to order.

I guess I could also go with Bob P's favorite cheapie solution and use
the ST 2300, but that might be a bit much. This plane is a touch
smaller than an Excelleron.

Any suggestions, prop sizes, experience, etc., will be greatly valued!

Thanks in advance,

Brett
================================================To access the email archives for this list, go to

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.