Advise how to reduce rudder to roll coupling

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Sat Aug 6 17:03:15 AKDT 2005

Patrick,
What you're experiencing is known as "adverse roll couple"! You can
prove this just by flying right side up and applying full rudder
deflection in either direction and you will see that the airplane
will roll in the opposite direction to whatever rudder you are
applying.The cause of the phenomenon is that the wing is located too
far below the Datum line without sufficient dihedral to compensate
for the offset. Aside from trimming it out with your radio, the only
alternative is to saw the wing in half and adding the correct amount
of dihedral which is the better alternative to achieving a correctly
neutral flying airplane. However you will still have to deal with
the pitch condition and if you decide to do whats aerodynamically
required to correct this anomaly you will no longer have an airplane
that you can honestly call a Cap!
The easiest solution, if you must persist in flying a "scale type"
airplane, is to sell the Cap and buy an Edge, as it has a much
better force arrangement (very close to a neutral flying airplane).
Georgie