Judging issues

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Thu Aug 4 17:11:15 AKDT 2005

Keith

Good points. I hate the ambiguities and weasel words in the rules. I suppose that's what one gets when the rules are written by committee to be used in an objective manner by subjective people. Hopefully, a person writing a program for a machine to do judging would establish absolutes to make it work, then let the committees adjust the verbiage to fit.

With regard to scoring "smoothness / gracefulness", the scoring system is deductive - a judge isn't to "award" points - only take them away. But you're right, we have metrics for everything else and preach objective judging - but must deal with a subjective requirement. I can only say that I recognize a lack of smoothness / gracefulness when I see it, and it isn't related to roll rates or radii  - just a "coarseness" that detracts a point or two on top of any other deducts.

Earl