Judges

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 05:30:42 AKDT 2005

> I contend that judge competency is better than it's ever been. Primarily
> two things account for that, the NSRCA certification program and
> pilot-judges. Our cert program is designed to ensure that everyone is
> exposed to the proper judging techniques and the current rules. Using
> pilot-judges provides an indication that the judges are interested in the
> details of the game. As with anything, there are some outliers and they
> need to be addressed - especially at the Nats.

I think we are going about this in the wong way.

The judges we have are what we must use. Most of them are only in the seat
because they have to be. They would prefer to be elsewhere. It is a form of
forced labor and it shows. Unfortunately, it is the best judging we can
afford. The reward for being a good judge is more judging assignments!
Whatever it takes, we must make the judging experience less of chore if we
are going to improve the quality. More training won't do it because the guys
who need it most are the ones that resist it the most.

A step in the right direction (from the judging standpoint) is to simplify
the task. Either quit flying maneuvers that we cannot agree on how to score
or at least relegate them to K1's. I know that is harsh, but it is
realistic. Remember, it is the judge you cannot fix!

The rules call for making the tear sheets public. Following this and
encouraging the judges to compare their scoring would tend to standardize
results. In theory, isolating the judges seems a good idea, but in practice
it is a deterrent to learning.

Judging is like jury duty, very few actually want anything to do with it.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US

> There are two overlapping issues being discussed. Judge competency and
> score accounting at the Nats, this note is about judges and another will
> address Nats scoring.
>
> I contend that judge competency is better than it's ever been. Primarily
> two things account for that, the NSRCA certification program and
> pilot-judges. Our cert program is designed to ensure that everyone is
> exposed to the proper judging techniques and the current rules. Using
> pilot-judges provides an indication that the judges are interested in the
> details of the game. As with anything, there are some outliers and they
> need to be addressed - especially at the Nats.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.