Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Ed Miller edbon85 at charter.net
Wed Aug 3 03:45:35 AKDT 2005

The "snap nazis" look for some kind of break in pitch, no matter how small. If the break isn't there, you get scored accordingly. I've had the opportunity to see the differences in "style and execution" of snaps and spins in 2 different areas of the country. One area is very big on the break in pitch in snaps, the other area is big on a super fast roll snap with little or no break in pitch. Spins that are high speed rolling death dives to the ground seem to be the preference too. Since the aircraft is supposed to be stalled in both the snap and spin, I find it hard to rationalize spins and snaps that happen at the speed of light.
Ed M.