Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Aug 2 14:37:52 AKDT 2005

On Aug 2, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Don Ramsey wrote:

> We have heard from a lot of Advanced pilots about the judging on that
> line.  I would like some feed back from Masters and FAI on the prelims
> judges.  My very limited survey seems to indicated that those lines
> had very good judging.  I had a lot of 5s & 6s and some good scores
> but overall my scores, in my opinion, were spot on.  I'm only asking
> about the prelims.

I had some weird scores on some flights.  On the first round, my scores
had a 94 point raw score spread (one judge was consistently high).  The
second round had only a 14.5 point spread (These judge hung together;
the worst being an 8.0/6.0/7.0 on the 1/2 Inside Loop w/ 2/4 Roll Out).
  The third round had only a 28.5 point spread (this despite a
9.5/9.0/6.5 on the 1/2 Outside Loop w/ 2/4 Pt Roll Out).  The fourth
round had a zero spread (an elevator half came unhooked from the clevis
and I landed before completing the first airborne maneuver)!  The fifth
round had a 63 point spread, including a 3.0/8.0/6.0 on the Vertical
Square 8.  The sixth round had only a 33.5 point spread, however, it
included 6.0/9.0/8.0 on the 1/2 Inside Loop w/ 2/4 Roll Out,
6.5/8.0/8.5 Top Hat w/ 3/4 Roll Up, 1/4 Roll Dn and a 6.0/8.0/6.5 on
the 1/2 Sq Loop w/ 1/2 Roll Out.

I can accept up to 1.5 point spread from three judges on a maneuver,
but more than that means somebody screwed up.

Ron Van Putte