Judges

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 06:59:09 AKDT 2005

The question regarding how much would we be willing to pay to not judge at
the Nats has been ask. Let's look at some numbers. Precedent exists from the
Team Selections. Lodging is calculate basis two judges sharing a room, so
for Muncie $35/judge/day is reasonable. A per diem of $15/judge is allowed
for meals etc. plus a mileage allowance limited to a maximum of $200. Pretty
minimal - note that there is no "pay", just some expense offset.

So for the Nats the scenario might look like this. Six judges per site (18)
and a morning / afternoon rotation (36) and four alternates for the prelims.
Ten of these judges judge the finals + 2 alternates. Judges arrive Saturday
and spend Sunday in classroom briefing and on the flightline practice
judging the classes they will judge. So, for the prelims we need 40 judges @
$50 / day for 4 days = $8000 + travel allowance of $200 x 40 = another
$8000. The finals judges account for 12 judges working (10 + 2 alt.) for
another day @ $50 each = $600. The total is $16,600 or, divided by 120
contestants, about $140 each contestant. (Making the entry fee $230.)

Pretty steep, but I've been offered as much as $150 to take someone's
judging assignment (and declined). Also, competitors would have the option
to train Sunday, judge each half day of the prelims, and receive $400 for
their effort, realizing a $170 "profit" for a $230 entry fee.

I'll gladly pay the price for better judging and the opportunity to focus on
competing. (I'll also let someone else figure out how to find 40 folks
willing to judge.)

Earl

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.