Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Tue Aug 2 04:37:21 AKDT 2005

Trial Balloon Email (beware) :)

Hi All,

I'm going to propose a different way of looking at judging.  Of course,
the pilot is the "performer" that is on stage for all to see, however, at
the same time the judge(s) are performing as well.  At the US Nationals,
the judging committee is calculating persons judging marks, and continuing
to rank the judges.  Thus, the judges are performing at the same time as
the pilot.  However, we typically do not ever get to see how the
performance of the judge ranks against the pilot, or peers in an open
forum.  The current atmosphere is sort of  hush quiet, or a "don't tell"
type in regards to what judge gave what score.  Almost as if, its
considered good pilot etiquette not to ask judging questions.  Many judges
do not like to be approached after a round to discuss scoring.  Instead of
this, we could turn the tables completely 180 degree around.

Judging could be made to be a completely open from start to finish of the
contest.  Perhaps within the scoring system, after each round, judges
scores for all pilots are posted (tear sheets essentially) at the same
time as the round postings.  The posting of side-by-side scores, could
become a POWERFUL training tool for younger pilots (judges).  Currently,
there is no award for the "performance" of judging.    Flyers go to a
contest to fly, yet the task of judging takes double or more of the
combined numbers of people than contestants (at least in total effort).

If we acknowledge that in the current local contest and Nationals setting,
there is already volumes of discussion going on between pilots regarding
scoring (is there any bigger topic with 90% of the pilots?), we can then
foster an environment which turns what is currently ambivalent or negative
judge critiquing, into one in which takes these volumes of discussion and
focuses on "constructive" or "objective" results - results beyond simply
complaining amongst each other (avoid the misery loves company syndrome).

Doing something like this will address two important issues.  1.) The
contestant should feel more "in-tune" with scoring, and perhaps use this
feedback to better their own flying and judging.  2.)  The judge should
feel satisfied in knowing at the end of a round, whether or not his/her
"calibration" is more or less correct (I'm tending to think that within a
few posted rounds of these scores, judges will "self-correct" any trends
without asking if such a trend has become obvious).  Individually, I hope
each judge feels compelled to "talk" to pilots about the round if asked.

Finally, recognizing that judging is an important criteria, I recommend a
"District Award" for the top 1,2,3 persons who performed the most amount
of judging in the district (or most accurate if possible to calculate).
Also possibly a District award for the "team" that performed the most
contest scoring.

Key thoughts:
1.  Contestants are more in-tune with total system of contest
running/scoring, etc.
2.  Judges (or CD's???)  offered an avenue to "self-correct" if & when
necessary (... could happen to anybody)
3.  District awards for the massive judging/scoring effort already taking
place.
4.  Re-focus the INCREDIBLE VOLUMES of discussion already taking place
regarding scoring into a beneficial training event
5.  Possibility:  Upon the conclusion of Saturdays competition, the CD
could offer an open-discussion or review of the days scoring and judging -
read as, a quick pilots meeting that gives folks the open forum to discuss
anything - which can also be viewed as mini-judge-training-event.

Anyway - just thinking of ways to take the effort that is already going
on, and refocusing into beneficial paths.  Definitely open to other ideas
and suggestions.

Jim W.