Judges

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 14:07:51 AKDT 2005

In a message dated 8/1/2005 1:22:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
pattern4u at comcast.net writes:

Buddy,
            "You called  me a trouble maker at the Nat's"  - Did I do that???
Certainly not  meant in any nasty way, I assure you.

I actually want people to stir things up. If you let  a pot of stew just sit
there the bottom burns and the top never gets  cooked.

I have held about every opinion expressed in this  thread. I have changed my
mind many times as my education continued in  the judging arena.

I have not typed a lot of responses because a  box-cutter and I had an
exchange where the box cutter won ;-(

A few years ago we sent a bunch of heavyweight judges  to site-4.  (Earl
Haury is heavier than I am - and he's in Texas so he  can't visit me tonight
either). Boy! did we upset some pilots with accurate  judging. Not sure they wanted
us back. Same thing in FAI or  Masters.

I used Earl's name because his raw scores and mine  have tracked pretty
closely. I score a bit higher than  him these days because I am one CIAM memo ahead
of him - just teasing  Earl :-)

The Nats this year had the same standard of  pilot judges that it gets every
year. All certified. As you said that needs  some improvement - I totally
agree. Dave said that if he had 10 full time  experienced judges he could improve
things a lot. All I have to do is find  them... any thoughts on that one.
Would two really good judges be better than  three not so good and who decides who
they are?

I think that I can say that about half of the pilots  did two session or
more, some even did three. All scores were included in all  classes in all AMA
rounds. The AMA rules book is totally silent on scoring  standards. Anyone want
to get into that one?

We will be putting a whole bunch of info on eth  scoring system, the matrix,
the finals calculations  etc in the next  K-Factor. I figure that the more we
publish the more we will get  understanding and increase the chances of coming
up with a better mouse  trap.

We also want to leave a bunch of better and more  accurate documentation for
those who succeed us.

Regards,

Eric.

Eric
Another note that may shed some light on the subject. Most judges I think
make an effort to score maneuvers correctly but what I have noticed is that the
new and less experienced ones seem to miss the geometry requirements of
certain  maneuvers, this can make a huge difference in scores they judge defects
but  overlook basics, such as hight and width which should match, entry and exit
 altitude requirements and so fourth. They seem to focus on the fine points
but  don't see the forest for the trees. This can only be overcome when they
have studied and understand the requirements of each manuever. We teach how
the downgrades should be applied but may be failing to stress the  importance to
them of the need to be aware of the geometry requirements.  For example I
made a point to look at some tear sheets where obvious major  errors in geometry
were flown very smoothly my score in one case would have  been a six at best,
guess what, would you believe a nine and one half from two  judges and a five
from the other. likewise on the other hand I compared   one where the maneuver
was performed correctly but with a couple of small errors  flown at a faster
speed my score would have been eight the tear sheet scores  were two, sixes
and an eight and a half. I may not be the best judge around but  I believe that
only one of the scores in each case was correct and these  were both four
k-factor maneuvers so the pilot in each case if I am correct  received about a
twenty point bonus on his normalized score but worse yet  everyone else was
penalized if he won the round. Think about it.one or two  rounds where this happens
and some pilots best effort becomes his throw  away.
Buddy