[SPAM] Re: Rudder counterbalance ?

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:22:08 AKDT 2005

Eric
Just curious about more details on the hinging on the Impact. Having just
completed an OTOP, I wonder if the Impact has a similar arrangement.  If I
would have gone with the stock setup, it would have meant that 4 small
Robart hines would be hanging suspended in air over 1/4" either side of the
hinge line.  This seemed unacceptable, as I figured it would just break the
hinges in short order from all the flexing of the unsupported plastic.  All
I did was to add balsa filler blocks for each hinge location.  It required
cutting off the nub on the bottom of the rudder to let me slide the blocks
in, but that was easy to do and reset the piece later.  Rock solid so far (7
flights) with an 8411 converted to SA and this rudder is realtively heavy as
well.  I don't have the weight figure, but can get it from a friends
unfinished OTOP if it helps to unravel the mystery.

I guess the point of asking about this is that there may be a combined
effect of the relatively high mass of the ruuder and the flex of the hinges
if something similar was in play with your original setup.  I understand the
way the oscillations could start/sustain with just too much mass for the
setup to contend with.  However any flex could make it even easier to
commence, as the servo's attempt to arrest rudder movement would be hampered
and secondary movements from the stored energy in the fixed hinges would
have to be dealt with milliseconds later.

Ed