Rudder counterbalance ?

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 20:43:41 AKDT 2005

Jim,
        I had already converted the IMPACT supplied rudder over to a regular
Mylar hinge set up because of the side-play in the hinge-pin design
supplied.

It oscillated with the stick pin hinges at the first switch-on. I "pulled"
the composite the rudder off and fitted it with a new stern-post and beveled
the LE, on the rudder. Then I tried all of the servos previously listed.

I then cut off the IMPACT rudder and fitted the new (red) one as you can see
on RCU.

As powerful as our new digital servos are I don't think that they "brake"
the return swing as well as they initiate the first movement/response.

It is noticeable that the bigger planes use multiple servos with the
thinking that more power is needed. It is more stopping power that, IMHO,
the we really need.

I had an 8611 that bounced when used to drive a big old VISION rudder. After
fitting a damper from an RC car it performs flawlessly.

Regards,

Eric.