Pattern Primers

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Apr 28 19:43:29 AKDT 2005

On Apr 28, 2005, at 10:07 PM, John Pavlick wrote:

>  That's great. If there's anyone there that's totally new to pattern
> (as there should be), you might want to tell them exactly what they
> need to do when the Sportsman class is up. Sounds stupid but people
> who've never flown in a pattern contest don't know exactly what to do.
> Who starts the motor, who carries the plane - can I just take off or
> should I tell the judges I'm ready and make sure they are too. Tell
> them what happens if they miss a maneuver. No, don't turn around and
> try it again...  You get the idea. Hope everything goes well and we
> get some more people flying pattern.

Amen to what John said above.  I keep being surprised by the questions
I get from pilots new to Pattern.  Just knowing what is expected of
them provides a great boost to their confidence.  We need to let them
know, not only how to do the maneuvers, but what they can expect from
contest officials and what is expected of them.

Ron Van Putte