Rudder counterbalance ?

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 28 06:10:44 AKDT 2005

I have thought a little about it but have not done anything towards proving
my theories.

First, by counterbalance I assume you mean there is an area ahead of the
hinge line that acts to reduce the power required to operate the surface.

That will impart a "twisting" load on the hinge line. It will induce more
drag closer to the rudder centerline and higer up the rudder post. I would
think this force would tend to pull to the canopy (may be good, may be bad).
since the servo load is less, the damping action would be less. It would be
more susceptable to flutter with a loose return side on the pull-pull
rudder.

I have a Goldberg Extra 300 and a Midwest Cap232 that both have this
arrangement and no problems. I am not aware of either of the planes having
the problem.

Just my opinion, go ahead & shoot it down...

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US